What is NLP
NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) could be defined as ‘the psychology of excellence and the science of change.’
The principles of NLP can be used to:
- Develop yourself (Personal).
- Help develop others (Interpersonal).
- Realign businesses (Organisational).
NLP was founded originally to model excellence. By establishing exactly how achievements are made, excellence can be ‘installed’ and repeated again and again. From this starting point, over the last thirty years, an array of processes, concepts and techniques have been developed to enable a Practitioner to:
- Become more resourceful in managing attitudes, thoughts, emotions, behaviours and beliefs.
- Relate to others easily and effortlessly.
- Understand how language and its use has a direct impact on your state, your brain and your success in communicating with others.
What is NLP? A bit more…
NLP has been around since the 1970’s when its co-founders, Richard Bandler and John Grinder first modelled therapists that were achieving exceptional results in their work.
NLP is frequently known as the “users manual for your brain” and studying NLP gives us insights into how our thinking patterns can effect every aspect of our lives.
It looks at the way in which we think and process our thoughts (Neuro), the language patterns we use (Linguistic) and our behaviours (Programming) and how these interact to have a positive (or negative) effect on us as individuals.
NLP is a collection of a wide range of methods and models which create an understanding of thought process and behaviour. Understanding these techniques can bring about a positive change in you and others.
NLP defined by the co-creators…
“NLP is an attitude which is an insatiable curiosity about human beings with a methodology that leaves behind it a trail of techniques.” Richard Bandler (co-creator of NLP)
NLP is used for personal development and for success in business, sports, and a wide range of other fields. NLP is the practice of understanding how people organise their thinking, feeling, language and behaviour to produce the results they do. NLP provides people with a methodology to model outstanding performances achieved by leaders in their field.
A key element of NLP is that we form our unique internal mental maps of the world as a product of the way we filter and perceive information absorbed through our five senses from the world around us.
Neuro: Each individual has established their own unique mental filtering system for processing the millions of bits of data being absorbed through the senses. Our first mental map of the world is constituted of internal images, sounds, tactile awareness, internal sensations, tastes and smells that form as result of the neurological filtering process. The first mental map is called “First Access” in NLP.
“The strategies, tools and techniques of NLP represent an opportunity unlike any other for the exploration of human functioning, or more precisely, that rare and valuable subset of human functioning known as genius.” John Grinder (co-creator of NLP).
Linguistic: We then assign personal meaning to the information being received from the world outside. We form our second mental map by assigning language to the internal images, sounds and feelings, tastes and smells, thus forming everyday conscious awareness. The second mental map is called the Linguistic Map (sometimes known as Linguistic Representation).
Programming: The behavioural response that occurs as a result of neurological filtering processes and the subsequent linguistic map.
Modelling is the core activity in NLP, and is the process of observing and replicating the language structure and behavioural patterns of an individual who is excellent at a given activity.
- 28 Dec 2016New Year-New You! NLP Practitioner Spring 2017Make 2017 your best year ever!! Sign up now to become an NLP Practitioner. Our training course is an...
- 12 Dec 20162017 NLP Diploma and Practitioner ProgrammeInterested in learning the why, what and how of NLP for your personal development and business or sp...
- 22 Apr 2016NLP Business Success BoosterA one day introduction to practical and effective steps that you can take to have more success in yo...
- 31 Oct 2015New NLP Practitioner Course for January 2016We will soon be inviting expressions of interest and sign-ups for an 8 day modular NLP Practitioner...
- 26 Feb 2015NLP in Northern Ireland – Fresh Thinking Faster ResultsInternational NLP Training and Coaching on your doorstep right here in Northern Ireland. Feel free t...
The best thing I’ve ever done for me. This Practitioner Course course came along at the right time. Being able to practice between modules and listen to the CD’s again really made a difference. The live training was both an emotional and a fun experience!— Carol Clark